- Naturopathic Medicine
1) Sleep – Get to bed! Ensure adequate and quality sleep each night at least 7-8 hours. Try to be in bed by 10pm. Adequate sleep not only fuels your immune system but it improves your ability to deal with stress.
2) Diet – Keep it clean! Eat a well-balanced and healthy diet that is rich in whole natural foods, fruit, vegetables, grains, beans, seeds, nuts and an adequate amount of protein. Avoid sugar, excess calories, additives and preservatives as best you can.
3) Water – Drink up! Your mucous membranes need to be moist and ready to handle exposure to allergens, pollutants and viruses. Stay well hydrated.
4) Breathe – Keep stress in check! Practice healthy coping mechanisms to offset busy and demanding schedules. No matter how busy you are – you can always fit in a few minutes of deep breathing which is proven to lower both your heart rate and blood pressure. If you can find some extra time in your daily routine, yoga, meditation, soaking in a bathtub or reading a book are wonderful ways to destress.
5) Movement – Stay active! Your circulatory system and lymphatic system (AKA immune system) are very closely related and interactive. Mild to moderate activity supports healthy immune function. So lace up your shoes and head out for a brisk walk.
These simple tips may seem obvious and simple but sometimes amidst the buzz of life, we overlook the basics.
If you want to get more proactive we can talk about supplements, herbs and vitamins that are useful for further boosting your immune system. Email me if you’d like to set up a phone consult or an in person visit to discuss your needs in more detail.
Yours in health,