- Naturopathic Medicine
Christina Carreau, BA, ND
Summer is such a special time of year. I am always amazed by how alive our city is when the nice weather hits. Beaches, parks, patios and the lake are bustling…not to mention the highways headed out to cottage country…eek…also very busy! There is something so liberating and restorative about this time of year.
I do not want to weigh you down with health information as this is usually when we feel our best. So I will keep this short and sweet – here are 5 tips to stay healthy this summer.
1) Hydrate – water, water, water. It is an especially important time of year to stay hydrated. Infuse your water with fruit, vegetables or herbs for a refreshing twist on your H2O.
2) Get Outside – Be sure to top up on Vitamin D – ‘the sunshine vitamin’ while you can. Try and spend more time outside embracing the beauty of the sun, the trees, the flowers, the birds and all that the season has to offer.
3) Eat Local – This is a great time of year to visit your local farmer’s markets as they are full of fresh, nutrient-dense berries, vegetables, herbs and all sorts of wonderful goodies made with love.
4) Move Your Body – Our bodies were designed to move – walking, biking, jogging, kayaking, paddle boarding, yoga, the sky is the limit when it comes to your options, but don’t shy away from activity as it is part of a healthy foundation.
5) Enjoy! Life is busy. Let the longer days and the warm weather remind you that ‘life is good’. Take some time ‘to stop and smell the roses’ this summer.
Have an amazing summer, hopefully with some vacation to look forward to!