- Naturopathic Medicine
I remember when falafels and I met for the very first time; it was love at first bite. They are a wee bit labour intensive to make but well worth the effort. They can be enjoyed so many different ways with so many different accompaniments. My favourite topping are pickled turnips, sprouts, cukes and tomato slices.
Ingredients: Serves 4
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ cup red onion
- ⅓ cup packed fresh cilantro leaves
- ⅓ cup packed fresh parsley leaves
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 Tbsp ground flaxseed
- ¼ cup gluten free bread crumbs (more if needed)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp sea salt
Lemon Tahini Dressing:
- 1 large clove of garlic
- ¼ cup tahini
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp water
- Dash of sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In food processor, pulse garlic until finely chopped. Add the onion, cilantro and parsley and process until minced. Add chickpeas and process until the mixture forms coarse dough and holds together between your fingers.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl and stir in bread crumbs, cumin and salt until well combined.
- Shape the mixture into small patties using about 2 tbsp of dough per falafel.
- Bake the falafel until golden brown, about 30 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
- While the falafels bake combine all the lemon tahini dressing ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth.
- Enjoy on a bed of greens, or in a tortilla or pita with all of your favourite toppings – cukes, tomatoes, red onion, sprouts, grated carrots, beets, pickles, pickled turnips, banana peppers, parsley, lettuce or anything you like! Drizzle with a friendly amount of lemon tahini dressing. Enjoy the magic!