Although I have tweaked the recipe a little bit, this is a recipe from ‘Kalyn’s Kitchen’ an online food blog. These are SO tasty. If you are looking to eat a more plant based diet, these are just the thing! You can eat them as a snack or add them to any meal. They are a great source of protein and so incredibly delicious!
- 14 oz firm tofu, pressed to remove excess water
- 4 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1½ Tbsp tamari
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 2-3 tsp maple syrup
- 1-2 tsp Frank’s hot sauce
- 1 tsp grated ginger root
- 1 Tbsp grated ginger root
- 2 Tbsp natural peanut butter
- 2 Tbsp tahini sauce
- 3 Tbsp tamari
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 3 Tbsp water
- Drain tofu in a colander for a few minutes. Then cut tofu in half lengthwise to make two thinner pieces.
- Put a double layer of paper towel on a cutting board, put the two tofu pieces on the towel, and top with another double layer of paper towels. Put a heavy object (that’s big enough to cover the tofu) on top of the paper towel and let it press water out for 10 minutes. (I used a big cast-iron frying pan.) After 10 minutes remove the heavy object, discard the wet towels, and press again with new double-layer paper towels on top and bottom of the tofu. Press about 10 minutes more, or longer is even better if you’re not in a hurry!
- While tofu is pressing, whisk together the marinade ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut each pressed tofu piece into about 10 strips, each about ½ inch wide. Lay the tofu strips larger cut side down in a flat baking dish.
- Pour the marinade over tofu, brushing and turning if needed to make sure all sides are covered. Let tofu marinate 10-20 minutes. Then sprinkle 2 tsp toasted sesame seeds over the tofu pieces; turn and sprinkle the other 2 tsp sesame seeds over the other side.
- Spray or brush a small baking sheet with coconut oil. Lay tofu strips on the baking sheet, taking care not to knock off the sesame seeds.
- Bake tofu 20 minutes on first side. Turn carefully and bake 10-20 minutes more, depending on how browned and crisp you’d like it.
- While tofu bakes combine sauce ingredients in a jar with a tight fitting lid. Shake well.
- Serve tofu hot, with sauce for dipping.