This is such a unique and delicious drink. It is refreshing, spicy, tangy and fragrant all in one mouthful. Your house will smell delicious for hours after making the chai syrup. You could drink this as a warm drink by adding an equal amount of warm milk or water to the syrup or you can enjoy it on the rocks as a refreshing summer drink. You could also easily turn this into a cocktail by adding alcohol of your choice.
Ingredients: Serves 4
- 12 cardamom pods, gently crushed
- 8 whole black peppercorns
- 8 whole cloves
- 4-inch piece of fresh gingerroot, sliced
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 4 cups water
- 2 star anis
- 2 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 vanilla bean, sliced down the middle
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 green tea bag
- 1 cup chai syrup
- ½ cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 12 oz (350 ml) of carbonated water
- 4 star anis for garnishing
- 4 orange twists or slices for garnishing
- Chai Syrup: Bring all of the ingredients, except the tea bags to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add tea bag and let steep for 5 minutes. Pour mixture through a strainer, reserving the liquid. Cool to room temperature. Discard spices.
- Store in a tightly sealed jar in the fridge.
- Mocktail: Combine chai syrup, orange juice and carbonated water in a pitcher.
- Fill 4 glasses (martini glasses, wine glasses, tumblers or champagne flutes) with ice. Add chai mixture to glasses and garnish with a star anis and orange twist.