- Naturopathic Medicine
I never tire of tex-mex seasoning! This is great warm or cold. You can make it Vegetarian by using black beans or veggie round in place of the ground chicken. I intentionally did not add cheese so that this is vegan friendly as well. This also makes for great mason jar meals in which case, I would omit step 5 and keep the quinoa, cherry tomatoes and corn separate from the chicken mix as they will be less soggy that way.
Ingredients: Serves 4-6
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 lb ground chicken or veggie ground round
- 2 cups chopped vegetables of your choice (I used bell peppers and zucchini)
- 1/4 cup of water
- 2 cups cooked quinoa***
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 can organic corn
- 6-8 cups baby spinach greens
- 1 avocado
- Optional toppings – cilantro, shredded cheese, banana pepper rings, salsa, lime wedges, green onions
***Please not that this recipe calls for cooked quinoa so you may want to make this at the same time that you are browning the meat if you do not happen to have cooked quinoa on hand.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, chili powder, oregano and coriander; stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add meat cook, breaking up with a spoon until cooked through 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add in vegetables and water and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Mix in quinoa, cherry tomatoes and corn just until everything is nice and warm.
- Pile this on top of a bed of baby spinach greens with avocado slices and anything else that suits your fancy and dig in.