These muffins are vegan, gluten-free, moist and delicious! I came across this recipe on one of my favourite blogs ‘Minimalist Baker’. I hope that you enjoy them as much as I do!
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flax seed + 5 tbsp water)
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk + 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- ¾ cups unsweetened applesauce
- ¾ tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp cane sugar
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup almond meal
- ⅓ cup unsweetened shredded coconut + more for topping
- ¾ cups gluten free flour blend
- 1 cup mixed berries tossed in GF flour blend (fresh or frozen + slightly thawed)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line a standard muffin tin with 12 paper liners, or lightly grease.
- Prepare flax eggs in a large mixing bowl by mixing water and flaxseed meal and let rest for a few minutes to “gel.”
- Measure out almond milk and add vinegar. Wait 3 minutes, then add baking soda and stir. Set aside.
- To the flax eggs, add applesauce, melted coconut oil, maple syrup, sugar, and whisk for 45 seconds. Add almond milk mixture and whisk once more.
- Add salt, gluten free flour, almond meal, shredded coconut and oats and whisk again until combined. The batter should be somewhere between thick and thin and pourable.
- Toss berries in enough gluten free flour to coat and add to the mixture. Gently stir once more.
- Divide batter evenly between muffin tins (they should be generously ¾ full). Optional: Sprinkle the tops with a bit more coconut flake. If you put additional berries on top, they sink a little.
- Bake for 18-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and the edges are golden brown. Let cool for 15 minutes in the pan, then gently remove and let cool completely on a cooling rack. NOTE: Don’t try to sample before completely cooled as they have a tendency to stick to the paper otherwise.
- Will keep covered at room temperature for several days.
Leave A Comment