This is a recipe from Helen Nearings Cookbook – Simple Food For the Good Life. This dish is tasty, detox-friendly, easy and makes for great leftovers. I like to add some fresh cilantro at the very end for extra flavor. This goes really well with steamed broccoli and/or kale both of which enhance liver detoxification due to a naturally occuring compound called Indole-3-Carbinol found in vegetables from the Brassica family.
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup dry lentils
- 4 stalks spinach, chopped
- While heating a saucepan on medium heat, take the curry powder and add a teaspoon of water and mix. Add more water until a ball is formed.
- When the pan is well heated, stir in the curry powder, onion and garlic to release the natural flavors.
- Add water, lemon juice, and lentils. Cover and simmer until tender (about half an hour).
- Stir in the chopped raw spinach. Bring to a boil and then remove from the stove.
- Serve immediately with steamed vegetables, fish or chicken.
Leave A Comment