Ground Beef and Cabbage Soup
This is a nutrient dense, flavour rich, quick and easy weeknight meal. I am often asked by patients, ‘what should I be eating?’ And the truth is, you should eat foods that make you feel good. Foods that give you sustained energy, ease of digestion, and rich in vitamins and nutrients. The only way to know what to eat, is to listen to the way that food makes you feel. I hope this soup feels nourishing for your body. Bon appetit.
Ingredients: 5-6 servings
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth or beef broth
- 1 Tbsp Italian Seasoning
- ¼ tsp black pepper, to taste
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 large head green cabbage, chopped (about 6 – 8 cups)
- Handful of parsley, chopped (optional)
- Add the avocado oil to a large pot and heat to medium-high.
- Add the chopped onion, carrots and garlic. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Push the vegetables off to one side of the pot and add the ground beef. Allow it to brown for 3 minutes without touching it. Flip and brown for another 2 to 3 minutes. Break up the meat into smaller pieces using a spatula and stir it into the vegetables.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the pot. Stir well, cover, and bring to a full boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage has wilted, about 30 minutes.
- Add additional pepper, sea salt and a handful of parsley to taste. Enjoy.
Leave A Comment