Homemade nut milks and oat milk are surprisingly easy to make. They are delicious and nutritious and free of additives and preservatives. It is also nice to be able to play around with the consistency so that you can make creamier or more watered down versions depending on what you are going to be using the milk for. These are delicious in smoothies, teas, soups, baking, and even on their own.
- 1 cup cashews or almonds or steel cut oats
- 3-4 cups water
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
- Soak nuts or oats in a bowl of water overnight.
- Rinse well under running water then place both water and nuts or oats into blender.
- Blend on high for about 1 minute.
- Strain through a fine mesh strainer or a nut milk bag. Add sweetener, vanilla and sea salt and store in a covered container in the fridge. This will keep for 3-4 days.
- Shake well before each use as the milk does separate.
- Save the ground up oats or nuts to use in baking or to add to breakfast bowls.