Principles of Naturopathic Medicine
Naturopathic doctors are guided by six fundamental healing principles:
- First, Do No Harm (Primum Non Nocere) – Naturopathic Doctors utilize therapies that minimize the risk of harm and apply the least possible force to restore health.
- The Healing Power of Nature (Vis Medicatrix Naturae) – Naturopathic Doctors recognize and support the inherent self-healing ability of the individual.
- Identify and Treat the Cause (Tolle Causum) – Naturopathic Doctors seek to identify and treat the underlying causes of disease.
- Doctor as Teacher (Docere) – The primary role of the Naturopathic Doctor is to educate and support each patient in taking responsibility for their health.
- Treat the Whole Person – Naturopathic Doctors recognize that health results from a complex interaction of many factors and focus on treatment of the whole person through individualized care.
- Focus on Prevention – A primary focus of the Naturopathic Doctors is the prevention of disease through encouraging a healthy lifestyle and controlling risk factors.
– Board of Directors of Drugless Therapy – Naturopathy