- Naturopathic Medicine
Rich in colour, flavour, aroma and texture, this soup is not only pleasing to your senses but it will fill you up and warm your insides.
Ingredients: Serves 5
- 2 Tomato (cut in half)
- 3 Red Bell Pepper (halved and seeds removed)
- 1 Sweet Onion (coarsley chopped)
- 3 Garlic (cloves)
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup Dry Red Lentils (uncooked)
- 3 cups Water
- 3 cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1/4 cup Cashews (raw, unsalted)
- olive oil, crushed red chillies and basil to garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss the tomatoes, red peppers, onion and garlic in olive oil and place on the baking sheet. Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, turn the oven to broil and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add lentils and water to a stockpot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender. Stir in vegetable broth, sea salt, black pepper and oregano in with the lentils and mix well.
- Remove vegetables from oven. Let cool slightly. Peel away the skin from the red pepper and discard. Place vegetables in pot with your lentils.
- Add your cashews to the bottom of your blender. Pour in contents of your stockpot. Ensure there is somewhere for the steam to escape. Blend into a puree.
- Ladle into bowls. Drizzle with a splash of olive oil, red chilli flakes and fresh basil. Enjoy!