This is a recipe I came across in the Autumn edition of ‘Food and Drink Magazine’. It is delicious, nutritious and easy to make!
- 1 and 3/4 cups of organic chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well and drained
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 shallots, peeled and finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp of cracked pepper and a pinch of salt
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 2 beets, peeled and finely diced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
*I added 1 cup kale, chopped – for extra vitamin C and calcium and also to enhance the color of the dish.
- In a saucepan, bring broth to boil over medium-high heat. Add drained quinoa. Cover and reduce heat to low to maintain a gentle simmer until most of liquid has absorbed, about 15 minutes. remove from heat and let stand, covered for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread nuts in one layer over ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until golden. Sliver almonds once they have cooled.
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add shallots and cool just until tender, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, pepper and salt and cook until fragrant but not browned, about 1 minute. Add carrots, beets and green onions (add kale as well, if using), tossing to coat, and cook 2 minutes. Stir in almonds and quinoa and toss gently until well combined. Sprinkle with parsley and serve warm or at room temperature.