- Naturopathic Medicine
These zucchini noodles are the perfect gluten-free substitute for this cold pasta dish. If you want you can also serve this warm by sautéing everything for a couple of minutes. Want to turn this into a 5 minute meal? Use store bought pesto instead of making your own. It is zucchini season – go grab some zukes and turn them into zoodles!
Basil-pumpkin seed pesto
- 1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves (arugula works, too)
- ½ cup green pumpkin seeds, toasted *
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup of parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 3 large zucchini
- Sea salt
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- Fresh basil leaves, for garnishing
- To prepare the pesto: In a food processor, combine garlic, basil, toasted pumpkin seeds, olive oil, parmesan, lemon juice and red pepper flakes. Blend until smooth and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- To prepare the noodles: Spiralize the zucchini with a spiralizer or grate the zucchini the long way on a large box grater. Toss the zucchini with pesto until well coated, and season with salt.
- Transfer the pesto noodles to a large platter and sprinkle with the cherry tomatoes. Tuck the fresh basil in to garnish.
* To toast the pumpkin seeds, pour them into a skillet and heat over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until the seeds are fragrant and the seeds are starting to make little popping noises, around 5 minutes.