- Naturopathic Medicine
This is an amazing weeknight meal for the whole family and it also makes for great leftovers. Slicing the zucchini noodles is probably the most finicky part of this recipe but I used my cheese slicer and that worked really well to cut the zucchini into strips. This gives you all the deliciousness of a pasta bake without any actual pasta. Bon appetit!
Ingredients: Serves 6
- 3 large zucchini, trimmed (about 4 pounds), sliced lengthwise into 24 ⅛-inch-thick strips (I use my cheese slicer but you could also use a mandolin if you have one)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups marinara sauce, divided
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella, divided
- add crushed chilies to taste
- Line a baking sheet with paper towels. Lay zucchini slices flat in a single layer onto the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle each side with 1/4 teaspoon salt; let stand 15 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, ricotta, Parmesan, egg, basil and garlic; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spread 1 cup marinara sauce sauce onto the bottom of a large rectangular baking dish; set aside.
- Spread 1 tablespoon ricotta mixture evenly along each zucchini slice; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon mozzarella cheese. Roll up and place in the prepared baking dish; repeat with remaining zucchini slices and filling.
- Top with remaining 1/2 cup marinara sauce and sprinkle with remaining 1 cup mozzarella.
- Place into oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until zucchini rolls are heated through and the cheese is beginning to brown.
- Serve immediately.